“We won’t go that far yet,” Porter said after fully participating in practice for a second consecutive day. “I felt like my old self out there.
“Now it’s a matter of the coaching staff trying to get me out there.”
With Chris Harris and Tony Carter flourishing in increased roles since Porter left the lineup prior to the Week 6 trip to San Diego and Omar Bolden holding down one of the gunner slots on special teams, the Broncos might not have room for a fifth cornerback on the 46-man game-day active roster.
But Bolden is coming off a concussion suffered last Sunday. He practiced on a limited basis Thursday after being sidelined — but on the field — a day earlier.
“I’m not sure exactly all the tests he’s passed yet,” Broncos coach John Fox said. “I just know he was cleared to practice today, and we’ll see what that brings for tomorrow.”
Earlier this season, linebacker Keith Brooking returned a week after suffering a concussion after successfully passing through the post-concussion protocols instituted by the league, so it wouldn’t be a stretch for Bolden to play if he has recovered enough.
So Porter’s status for Sunday might rest on Bolden’s health.
“It may be a numbers thing. I may be a healthy inactive. Maybe they’ll put me out there. Honestly, I don’t know,” Porter said.
Porter said he hasn’t struggled with any of seizure symptoms for three weeks. He believes that his last setback came earlier in the month, when he practiced on a full basis Nov. 1 but was held out a day later and didn’t make the subsequent trip to Cincinnati.
“It’s great just to be able to practice this week. God has been good through this whole thing,” he continued. “I looked at it as a lesson, as Him trying to teach me something, to give me this setback to open my eyes to something new.
“It’s just a lesson He’s teaching me, and I have to learn from it and grow from it as a man.”