Colorado Rockies (68-56, second place in NL West, 8-2 in their last 10 games) vs. San Diego Padres (49-78, fifth place in NL West, 3-7 in their last 10 games).
The series’ pitching matchups will look like this:
Anderson (4.1 IP, 7 H, 9 ER, 4 K) was shelled and took the loss in his last start against the Astros. Anderson has failed to win an outing for Colorado since July 4, but is second on the pitching staff in ERA (4.39).
Erlin (6.0 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 2 K) was left with a no-decision in his last start against the Angels. Erlin has now allowed two earned runs or less in his last three starts and is 3-2 against Colorado in his career with a 6.18 ERA.
Gray (7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 9 K) pitched well but was left with a no-decision in his last start against the Braves. Gray has recorded a 2.55 ERA since he was recalled and currently leads the Rockies’ pitching staff in strikeouts (157).
Nix (0.2 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 1 K) failed to exit the first inning and took the loss in his last start against the Diamondbacks. Nix is currently rated as the number 14 prospect in the Padres’ system, according to MLB Pipeline, and holds a 1.84 ERA over his career in the minor leagues.
Freeland (6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 9 K) was superb and earned the win in his last start against the Braves. Freeland has been dominant for the Rockies in 2018 and leads the pitching staff in ERA (2.96) and is tied with German Marquez in wins with 11.
Lucchesi (4.0 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 6 K) took the loss in his last start against the Diamondbacks. Lucchesi is currently tied for second on the club in wins (6) and is 1-0 against the Rockies in 2018 with a 1.69 ERA.
- Trevor Story has continued to surge for the Rockies lately (9-for-24, 2 HR, 3 RBI) and has been one of best Rockies at the plate in 2018 (.294 BA, 26 HR, 84 RBI, 17 SB).
- DJ LeMahieu currently holds a seven-game hitting streak for the Rockies and was able to play hero ball for Colorado during their weekend series against the Braves (6-for-20, 2 HR, 4 RBI).
- Ian Desmond (5-for-18, 8 RBI) played a huge role for the Rockies in their recent series against the Braves. Desmond tallied 8 RBI against Atlanta, and his veteran presence in the dugout could play a big role for Colorado down the stretch.
- Eric Hosmer (9-for-25, 2 HR, 5 RBI) has been mashing lately at the plate for San Diego and has been the catalyst of the Padres’ offense in 2018 (.259 BA, 12 HR, 52 RBI).
- Hunter Renfroe has continued to play well for the Padres in 2018 (.249 BA, 14 HR, 45 RBI) and has been hot lately, going 17-for-55, 6 HR, and 17 RBI.
- Cory Spangenberg has been able to produce for San Diego lately (5-for-16, 1 HR, 3 RBI), but has generally failed to make a significant impact for the Padres in 2018 (.248 BA, 7 HR, 23 RBI).
- Tony Wolters is just 2-for-15 of late and has had a rough go of things for the Rockies this year, hitting .156 BA, 2 HR, 19 RBI.
- Gerardo Parra (16-for-67) has struggled mightily for Colorado recently and has seen a significant drop in his batting average from 2017 (.309) to 2018 (.286).
- Chris Iannetta has been unable to produce for the Rockies lately (7-for-44) and has failed to contribute much offensively in 2018 (.218 BA, 8 HR, 28 RBI).
- Jose Pirela has been ice-cold for the Padres (6–for-39) and has had a below average year in 2018 (.249 BA, 3 HR, 28 RBI).
- Franmil Reyes is just 9-for-44 and has been unable to do much from the batter’s box for the Padres in 2018 (.222 BA, 9 HR, 13 RBI).
- Austin Hedges (1-for-19) has struggled recently for the Padres, but has been a nice platoon catcher for San Diego in 2018 (.243 BA, 9 HR, 26 RBI).